"Wisdom has built her House, she has hewn out her Seven Pillars" Proverbs 9:1
I look forward to having you come join me as we work to turn our houses into homes.

Friday, January 31, 2014

SOS - Your Spot of Simplification (Feb Simplify My Home)

February begins tomorrow, and it always seems to be one of those months, that seems to fly by, Summer heat and all - well for me at least.  I also wanted to get this post out ready for the weekend for those of you who have taken up this challenge with me, to simplify your homes this year.
There is more to simplifying a home than just having it clean and knowing where things are kept - a home will feel easy to live in, if it works with you, rather than against you. 
 Let me explain ....... if you like to read for example, but you can never find just the right spot to sit that allows you to feel relaxed, then you end up feeling frustrated...... those feelings of frustration would not be translated to believing your home life is simple ....... you would just feel overwhelmed, cranky that there is never a good spot and somewhat out of control.  It could be any number of situations that work this way ......like where you sit to do the bill paying/budgets,  crafting, meal planning, writing letters,  your quiet time alone with God. 

One of my SOS places

 As women, we often are busy doing things for everyone else, and there is no time, or energy left for ourselves.  Unless we look after ourselves, we will not be able to give properly to others.   With this in mind,  February will become the month for us to locate an area  or areas of the home that are special "spots" for you.  I'm going to refer to it as your " Spot of Simplification" , because that allows you to be able to do anything you need to do that helps you in that special spot - be it paying the bills to clear debts, writing letters, reading a book or working out the weeks menu, it is a place in which you can feel you have a pleasant place to sit for that specific purpose!  You can have 1 Spot of Simplification  (SOS - how appropriate since it is a lifeguard spot for us), or you may have a couple for set purposes eg:  a writing desk for bill paying and letters; and a  chair in the corner of the garden or on the veranda for quiet times of prayer, reading and maybe even some handiwork.   The cane wicker chair you see above was found by my hubbie, ready to be thrown out.  He rescued it, and after a good wash, I just love having this chair on my front veranda..... it's become a favourite SOS!   I want us to spend February setting  up your SOS,  or perhaps, like me, you need to work on decluttering one of your spots ..... so that it works for us,  instead of against us, and most of all it  is pleasant to be in. 
my writing desk... needs a declutter!
If you hate the look of it, trust me, you won't be going there very often!!  It needs to function, so think about the types of things you want to do in that SOS.  Try and keep it simple, useable, clutter free, and enjoyable!

Remember the missions for each month will be on the page tab at the top here.  Now I'm off to do a bit more decluttering at my writing desk ......... after a cuppa in my cane chair  xo 

10 comments:

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Lovely Sharm....

Abbi said...

I am needing to work on my crafting area. I got one project finished today so that should help in my cleaning progress. I do enjoy my time there much more when things are neat and tidy.

M.K. said...

Yes! This is such a simple but important fact of our lives. My devotional life was (finally!) radically improved when I admitted to myself that I HAD to have a comfortable chair in my room for it -- an SOS. My hubbie and I are all about being comfortable in our home. For him, it's an issue of having enough light to read by, at his end of the couch. I need: kleenex, lotion, glasses. Thanks so much for this reminder!

Sharm said...

Thanks Peg, always lovely to have you stop by xo

Sharm said...

Hi Abbi, Hope this helps to get you working on that area. It's so much easier to work on projects in a tidy space.

Sharm said...

MK, It definitely helps to get into a daily routine of bible reading and prayer, if you have an SOS............... it becomes that life buoy xo

janet said...

My spot is a small room off the kitchen. It is where I have a table in which I read my bible, write letters, robins, also make my cards and scrapbooking. It really needs a bit of organizing and my chair has been taken over by Esther the feline aka baby girl. So, I really need to work in this area. Thanks for mentioning it. I needed it.

Sharm said...

Hi Janet, I'm not certain that my return email got to you, so I will answer here as well. It's lovely to have you stop by for a visit and so pleased to hear about your little room off the kitchen............ you have reminded me, that I have a teeny tiny room (it was the wardrobe) off our bedroom, which I am trying to turn into a mini office space.......... another work in progress :)

Laurie said...

I really do like this idea. I am your newest follower and look forward to getting to know you better.

Sharm said...

Thanks for coming to visit, stop by any time for a cuppa