"Wisdom has built her House, she has hewn out her Seven Pillars" Proverbs 9:1
I look forward to having you come join me as we work to turn our houses into homes.

Thursday, January 30, 2014

In Response

What wonderful comments and emails I have received from so many over the past week, and so many new followers who came over to visit via the GYB party.... this post is to say a big Thankyou
She seemed to think this was a good place to sit on a very hot day!
to you all.  I am getting back to each of you via emails now from your comments and emails sent to me, I am visiting each of your blogs where you have one, and I have been looking at all the topic requests and questions that have also been included in the emails or comments.

I find it really helpful when I ask a question, or request something of somebody, if they at least acknowledge it, so I am attempting to do the same here for each of you.  If you find you have more questions or such, then just ask ........... the only silly question is the one that never gets answered because it never gets asked! 
So it seems on the agenda from those emails we have chickens, gardening, dishcloths, canning,
homestead binders, simplicity ........... all favourites of  mine!  Take a look back at some of the older posts as you may find what you are looking for, or stay tuned as we get onto the topics.

For a quick one for those of you who were asking about home made dishcloths........ I love them to bits!  I find I prefer to have a hand knitted or crocheted cloth sitting on my sink than an old chux cloth or sponge that is who knows how old!  For the kitchen and cleaning, you must use cotton yarn.  Anything else tends not to wipe up spills, or work well on benchtops etc or leaves fibres
behind.  Any made with synthetics will work well for mirrors though :)   I tend to crochet mine just because I find I'm far better at crochet than knitting.  For a very simple and quick one, chain 27, then an extra 3ch for turning and using a treble stitch continue each row until you have between 10 - 12 rows, depending on the size you prefer. At the end, I usually do a few chains to make a loop to hang it up by if desired...... mostly it just finishes it off nicely!   If you have never made or used crocheted dishcloths before, then this is the pattern to go for.  Once you have the basics you can change your stitches or shape to suit yourself.  I find putting in rows of double crochet is useful (creates a type of bumpy effect), for using on benches that need a bit of elbow grease from time to time.  These also make great additions for use as gifts or in swaps.

Have a blessed Day
Sharm

The Ovens River ...... just up the road

2 comments:

Patty Sumner said...

Sharm... My Mother in Law makes the dish clothes for me.... you are so right... They are the best! I just love them.. Have a great day! Blessings!

Sharm said...

Patty, you are so lucky to have a great MIL do that for you!
Take care
Hugs sharm